Thursday, March 14, 2013

John 3:16 “…so loved…”

lovecards
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

I mentioned in my previous post "John 3:16 “For God…”" that God is “the most wondrous and dangerous being to ever live.”  That statement is very true.  He is wondrous; but He is also dangerous.  Anyone can take your life from you, but only God can send your soul into the eternal fires of Hell.  Luke 12:5 "But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him."

The next two words of John 3:16 tell us the driving force of God.  Everyone has something which compels them into the actions they commit.  With God, love is not only the driving force, but it is His very being. 1 John 4:8 says, "...God is love"

Love is a word we use all the time.  “I love this chocolate cake.” “I love chocolate.” “I love that show.” I love how this car handles.” “Of course I love you.”  We use the word love so much to describe our feelings and desires, that I fear it has become almost empty of meaning. Many times, Love is simply a pawn in a game to us.  We use love to get the things we want.

When God uses the word “love” He fills the meaning with His very being.  To Him love means an unconditional commitment that is backed by His very life.  He never uses the word flippantly.  Everything He is and does is because of Love.

Other post on John 3:16:
For God
so loved
the world
that he gave his only begotten son
that whosoever believeth in him should not parish, but have everlasting life.
Photo Credit:Love Game by Juliana Coutinho

1 comment: