Monday, April 11, 2011

Jehovah-Jireh

starry night
I remember the first time I saw God provide to someone who was crying out for God to provision.  I was in the Navy, stationed at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.  It was 1972 or 73, and I was a young Christian, who was just learning about God.  I had never heard about God’s name, Jehovah-Jireh (The Lord, who provides).
One night, at a prayer gathering, a young man named Scoop asked that we pray that God financially provide for him.  Scoop believed that God had called him to fly to California, and witness to someone he knew about salvation through Jesus Christ.  Everyone gathered around Scoop and laid hands on him and prayed.
God said He wanted to talk to me.  I turned around, walked away from the group praying for Scoop and out the door.  I stood at the top of a wooden deck and looked out at the starry sky and listened.  God told me He wanted to provide for Scoop through me, and I agreed to obey Him. 
I didn’t have any money at that time but the next Saturday night, I went to a Christian coffee house where I knew he would be.  Going up to Scoop I asked if I could talk to him in private.  We walked outside and I handed over to him $140.  The amount God had told me to give to him. 
For a moment, he just stood there in shock as he looked at the money in his hands.  Scoop then leaped into the air with a shout.  He praised God and thanked me.  He was not only overjoyed with receiving the money but astonished at how God worked so precisely.
He explained that just the day before his landlord, who was a Christian, handed Scoop two dollars.  “I don’t know how two dollars are going to help much with buying that airline ticket but in my quiet time I felt God telling me to give it to you.”  Scoop took the money and praised God for providing the two dollars.
Scoop looked excitedly at me as he explained. “My ticket will cost $142.”
That was my first experience with Jehovah-Jireh, but it was not my last.  God does provide and he does it perfectly.  One of the wonderful and exciting things about God is that he does things His way and in His timing.  When we are doing his will, He will not abandon us.
If God tells you to go to college, don’t make excuses that you don’t have the money.  Jehovah-Jireh
If God tells you to start a ministry.  Jehovah-Jireh
If God says to give to someone in need.  Jehovah-Jireh
Trust Him.  Rest in His Love and His promises.

Photo credit: Starry nighttime sky in my backyard by slworking2

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

  1. Such a good story! I love that he used two of you to provide the exact amount so that there was no question in all three of your hearts about His provision, and involvement. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete