Monday, July 16, 2012

Fear: Financial Security

worry

Money is one of the most argued about subjects in a marriage.  Worrying about finances has probably caused more ulcers  and stress then anything else.  Lets be honest and confess that we Christians are not immune from being distressed about our debts and how little money we have.

I am fortunate to be debt free.  I have money in the bank and some retirement money.  I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination.  I need to watch my money, but I am much better off than many people.  Money should not be something to worry about and yet I wonder about my future.

My wife and I are planning a trip to visit our daughter who works for Peace Corp in The Gambia.  I just bought the tickets and as I looked at the money I was spending, I confess I cringed a little.  We could use that money for other things.  It would be nice to have it in savings in case of some unforeseen problem in the future.  I did not want to spend the money.  I love my daughter, but I would be seeing her a few months after our visit anyway.

After the money was spent, and I was spending some time with the Lord, He and I had a conversation that went sort of like this.

“Son,” He asked. “Are you suppose to be going on this trip?”

I thought about it and nodded, “Yes lord.  You are the one who has called Kathy (my wife) and I to go on this trip.”

“Why are you going?”

“The first reason is to see Dawn (my daughter) and see what her life is like in The Gambia.”

I thought I had answered the question, but I didn’t hear anything, so I searched my mind before adding more.  “And we are going to Rome before that to see some things there.”

“I want to bless Kathy and you.”

“Thank you lord and you have always been a blessing.”

“The reason you are going on this trip is because I am sending you.  You have seen me send others on trips, which were paid for by others.  I have blessed many before this, and now I am going to bless you.   Do not worry about the money.  That is my concern, not yours.”

Looking back at my life, there have been times when money was very tight.  We have been in debt and had very little money to work with.  There are times when I was out of a job, and we didn’t know how we would pay our bills.  Somehow God has always come through.

“But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19

Photo Credit: Worried by kpishdadi

No comments:

Post a Comment