Monday, January 28, 2013

The Essence of God is Love

love
God’s love is best described in 1 Corinthians 13. This one trait is the very soul of God1 John 4:8 states that “God is love.”  Love is so intrinsic in the character of God that without it, God would be a hollow form of Himself.

1 Corinthians 13: 1-3 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body [a]to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

If God spoke every language in Heaven and on Earth but had not love, He would be a noisy gong or clanging cymbal.  If He knew the past, present and future of all things, and knew everything possible to know; and if He worked great miracles impossible to everyone else, but did not love, He would be nothing.  If God gave the whole universe to the poor and downtrodden, and surrendered Himself for crucifixion but did not love, it would profit Him nothing.

Even God would be as nothing without Love.  He would be all powerful still and know everything possible.  He could create and destroy at a mere whim but without love it would all be meaningless.

There is nothing God does without love.  There is nothing God says without love. There is not one particle of His being that does not radiate love.  If we do not understand how love it the motivation of everything concerning God, then we will never understand God at all.  How can we know what God desires for ourselves without knowing of His Love?

Read blog on 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 Click here

Photo Credit: Love is always.. by Sara Alfred

No comments:

Post a Comment