Thursday, January 24, 2013

Who Knows God?

relaxworship

If you look around your church, at Sunday morning service, you will see a lot of people worshipping an idol they have created.  Far too many Christians do not know who God is.  They have stored up in their hearts false ideas which they have accumulated in their lives and have clung to them with all their strength.

Do you ever wonder how a Christian can live for years loving Christ and then turn away and follow some other God?  It is because they never knew who God was in the first place.  They only served the god of their own creation.  They served a god who could not strengthen him in times of trouble.  Their god was a false god who was corrupt and weak.  They did not know who God really is.

1 Corinthians 15:34 "Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame."

Have you heard a Christian say “God is a God of love and would never send someone to Hell?”  That person does not know that God is a God of Justice.  God’s love goes out to everyone, but so does His Justice.  To think otherwise leads to blaming God when bad things happen to good people.

No one knows all about God.  We all have mistaken ideas, but are you seeking to know Him?  Are you casting out false concepts you have when God shows you something new about Himself?

If we knew God as we should, we would not need books telling us 10 steps to a better prayer life or how to become a man or woman of God in one week.  We don’t need tricky little gimmicks to live our lives as God desires.  We simply need to know God and who He is.

I think I will start a series on the attributes of God.  I am sure I need it.  I do not know God as intimately as I should.  I do not follow in His footsteps with fear and trembling.  I need to learn of Him.  Will you join me?

Photo Credit: Funny Sign: Relaxed Worship with Live Band by herzogb

No comments:

Post a Comment