Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Hateful God

pride

The title to this post bothers me.  I don’t like it.  It seems to be opposite of the loving God I know and yet it is true.  Yes, there are times we should be full of hate. God is full of hate for some things but remember, He loves all people. 

Ecclesiastes 3:8 "A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace."

God is a passionate God who feels far more intensely then we do.  His love is so pure and passionate that it drives His whole being.  His hatred is just as intense and pure.  Whatever you feel hatred for is a mere shadow of emotion to what God feels.  Where God loves, we should love like Him.  Where God hates, we should hate just as much.  Sadly, I confess, I love and desire some of what God hates.

Proverbs 6: 16-"These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."

1. Pride.  This is Satan’s original sin.  It is also a sin I have way too much of.  I want people to think best of me even at the cost of not giving God His glory.

2. Lying tongue. They say that within the first ten minutes you meet someone, you will tell on average 3 lies.  Hey, I just want to impress them. Oops, there goes my pride again.

3. Hands that shed innocent blood. Have you ever taken part in a joke on someone you think is some kind of idiot.  Laughed at someone else at there expense?  But, no blood was shed.  You plunged a knife so deep into them that a real one couldn’t have hurt less.

4. Wicked imaginations. Lustful thoughts.  Undressing someone in my mind? Holding a grudge against someone. Plotting what you would like to do to them?

5. Running to mischief. Ever do something just because you wanted to watch a person’s reaction?  Get that tattoo so shock you mother?  Protest something because it’s fun to yell and scream at people who disagree?

6. False witness.  This isn’t just lying.  It is not telling the truth about someone.  It means being quiet when you know what really happened.  God calls upon you to get involved so that justice is met. Not speaking up is being an accomplice to lies.

7. Sow discord.  I use to enjoy a good argument about politics and religion.  I would get a discussion going just so I could prove them wrong.  That was sowing discord.  My goal was not to find the truth, it was to argue.

God hates all these things.  I should be full of hate for them as well.  All sin is rebellion against God and I want to live my life in full compliance to His will.  I want to hate sin just as much as Him, but so often I fail.  Lord fill me with hate for the things you hate.

Photo Credit: Pride - Love me, Hate me but..... by blackout14

No comments:

Post a Comment