Friday, February 8, 2013

Forget Being a Goody Two Shoes, Lets Do Something EXCITING!

surfing

Being good is just so boring.  Someone who is always good is about as exciting as watching a snail race.  What is wrong with them?  Why don’t they get out and live a little.  Find some excitement in life.  You’re not really alive until your get that adrenalin rush from doing something that is not all boringly good.

What are the best movies?  The ones with explosions, killings, fast cars, danger and of course beautiful women.  The excitement is not found in watching someone driving down the road 10 miles under the speed limit.  Its exciting when they are driving 130 mph in downtown New York as they weave in between cars and shoot at the police who are chasing them.

Lets face it, good does not sell.  When advertising a car why do they have some beautiful woman in a bikini laying on the hood?  If she was in a nun habit, I guarantee the car wouldn’t sell. I also guarantee that people are not thinking good wholesome thoughts about that woman in her skimpy bikini.  They say that “Playboy has great articles”, but its not the articles which sell the magazine.

Christians are suppose to be seeking to be like Christ.  This means we are trying to be good, but we see sin as more exciting and tantalizing.  I admit it.  Sin is fun.  I enjoy sin.  I want to sin.  GASP!  That is terrible to say!  Maybe, but it is true.

After all, the Law itself is really concerned with the spiritual—it is I who am carnal, and have sold my soul to sin. In practice, what happens? My own behaviour baffles me. For I find myself not doing what I really want to do but doing what I really loathe. Yet surely if I do things that I really don’t want to do, I am admitting that I really agree with the Law. But it cannot be said that “I” am doing them at all—it must be sin that has made its home in my nature. (And indeed, I know from experience that the carnal side of my being can scarcely be called the home of good!) I often find that I have the will to do good, but not the power. That is, I don’t accomplish the good I set out to do, and the evil I don’t really want to do I find I am always doing. Yet if I do things that I don’t really want to do then it is not, I repeat, “I” who do them, but the sin which has made its home within me.  Romans 7:14-20     J.B. Phillips New Testament

What is strange about all this is that actually goodness is not only more beneficial to us, but it can be exciting.  A life in Christ does not mean 24 hours a day in a prayer closet.  You like to travel and see other countries?  Missionaries live a life that is truly on the edge all over the world.  They see and do things that they could never have imagined before.  Some people have ministries to surfers and that means they are out on the beaches everyday surfing and talking to others about Christ.

Christianity is a challenge for you to Change the world using music, words and actions.  You like riding your Harley?  There are groups of Christians bikers.  You like to sing or play a musical instrument? Form a Christian band.  You like to play sports?  You have a great platform for sharing your love for Christ.

Wherever your talents and interest lay, God can use you.  He made you the way you are for a reason.  You were not meant to sit on a cloud for eternity playing a harp with a stupid smile on your face.  You were meant to change the world and experience the excitement of life with Christ.

Photo Credit: Surf the Waves of Isla Grande - Panama City, Panama by whl.travel

No comments:

Post a Comment