Thursday, May 3, 2012

Biblical Teachers; Guardians of the Truth.

The God given ministry of teaching is more than the ability to help someone learn about God and His Word.  Their desire is that Biblical Truth is taught.

God has given me a heart to teach.  I love to teach the Bible.  What pains me is when I hear someone preaching or teaching to others and what they say is not what is written in the Scriptures.  I want to stand up and yell, “That is not what it says.”

Even small deviations cause me to cringe.  I have heard good preachers preaching a great sermon about something Biblical and then use a scripture out of context to show their point.  There were other verses they could use that were in context so why did they use a verse which actually did not prove their point?
People will read a verse and expound on it, but the meaning of the words in the verse are not what they are say.  Exodus 15:23 uses the word “sweet” to describe how water was changed from bitter to sweet.  Sweet water is not water that tastes like sugar has been added.  It means it is fresh water which people can drink.

I hear so many things said about the scriptures that is not true or is used wrong.  I don’t usually say anything simply because I would be correcting people constantly.  If someone says something which I see as undermining the foundational truths of scripture, I cannot  let that pass and must speak up.

What is important is that Christians are growing in understanding God and His will for them.  Teachers must know the scriptures.  They are the ones who stand guard over God’s truth.  Their heart is to see Christians learn of God and know the truth of God’s heart.

To read about the other ministries of Ephesians 4:11 click on the links below:
Apostle
Prophet
Evangelist
Pastor

This post is based upon the book "Viral Jesus" by Ross Rohde 

Photo Credit: Words by tempestuousseas

No comments:

Post a Comment