Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Bargaining with God 101

230785245_3eafd10c8c

Bargaining with God.  I have tried it.  You have tried it.  Everyone at some time, in some way, has attempted to bargain with God.  We go before God offering, “If you do this for me, I will do that for you.”

Is this wrong?  What is wrong with giving God something we own if He gives us something in return?  Why shouldn’t we give to God some sort of payment for what He does for us?  How can giving God something of ourselves, showing God how desperate we  are for Him to answer our prayer, wrong?

We can even make our bargaining with God sound righteous and good.  “Father God, if you will heal me of this sickness I will go tell everyone of the miracle and how great and loving a God you are. I will say how you are the great physician who healed me of this.  I witness to the world so that they will know you.”

Is that really wrong?  Can bargaining with God truly be sinful?  All we are trying to do is persuade God how much we desire Him to step into our lives and help us.  We are reaching out to Him saying “I am willing to sacrifice this if you will simply answer my prayer.”  That can’t be sinful, can it?

There lived a man on the streets of a large city.  He had no home, but slept in a trash filled alleys.  His clothes were dirty and smelled of urine and cheap beer. All the possessions he owned were held in a three wheeled shopping cart which he pushed around all day.  His meals were half eaten bits of food found in dumpsters behind restaurants.  His body was covered in sores and his health was so bad that he was doomed to die soon.

One day a rich man saw him and felt great compassion on the homeless man.  Out of love for this man in rags, the rich man took him into his home.  The poor man was bathed and dressed in a fine suit.  He was given a suite of rooms to call his own.  He ate healthy meals and was given the medical care he needed.  He was given an allowance and charity work to do where he felt fulfilled and useful. There was no need which was not provided for by the rich man.

The rich man gave out of his love for the poor man.  There was nothing sexual between them.  There was only pure love for the man.  Everything that was given was out of that love and nothing was asked for in return.

One day the poor man went to the rich man and said, “If you would give me a car, I would be so grateful.  I will give you 10 percent of my allowance back to you and tell everyone how generous you are to provide me with a car.  I will even put in more hours of work if only you give me this.”

The rich man gave a heavy sigh.  “Is there anything you need which I have not provided? The clothes on your back, the home you live in, the work you do, the money you spend and even your own life is due to the love I have shown you.  Is there anything you have which is not from me?

“I only expect you to love me and others you meet in return.  There is nothing else you can give me because all you have is mine.  You can not buy my love.  To bargain with me is to say that my love is only worth this much.  Is my love for you only worth a few dollars or a few hours of work?”

How much is God’s love worth to you?  What are you offering Him so that He will show His love to you?

Photo Credit: Comfortable by juicyrai

No comments:

Post a Comment