Thursday, September 19, 2013

My Refuge, My Fortress: My God.

trust
“I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.” Psalm 91:2

For those who dwell in the secret place, (see previous post on Psalm 91:1) God is their refuge and fortress.  It is Him that they will go to in times of trouble.  When the world seems to be falling apart, they don’t go to God as a last resort but as their first and only solution.

I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease a little over a year ago.  I was rather stunned when the doctor told me the diagnosis.  I knew it was a possibility but I didn’t really think it would be PD.  The doctor told me it was the beginning stages and if it got worse we could see about medications to help me cope with the symptoms.

I left the room in a slight daze.  What could I do about this?  This was not a curable disease.  I was going to get worse and not better.  At this point my hands didn't greatly trembling like some with PD do, but would I get worse so that I couldn't do things myself?  Do I really want to tell others and have them feel sorry for me?  What would they think? I had all sorts of questions and fears.

As I walked to the car I mentally stopped and looked to the lord.  “Jesus, I don’t know what to do.”

I then realized that He was there with me.  He had always been there with me.  He was not surprised by the diagnosis like I had been.  He knew more about PD than the doctors did.  He also knew what my future held.  He held my future in His hands and I had nothing to fear.

By the time I got to my car, I knew I would be alright.  I didn’t care what the doctors said because God was my primary physician.  They might not be able to heal me but He can.  I would leave it all in his loving hands and not worry about it.

So what does my future hold? I don’t know but I am not worried about it.  I only want my lord to use me, PD and all, for His glory.  If God can use the Parkinson’s to make me more Christlike, then that is what I want.

God is my fortress and refuge.  I will trust Him in this situation and not medications, doctors or anything else.  It doesn’t matter if PD should eventually bring the worse into my life, I will still trust and praise Him.

Photo Credit: "Trust in the LORD..." ~ digital paint effect by Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment