Friday, September 2, 2011

Fluffy Jesus

fluffyjesus
My Son-in-law used the word “fluffy” when talking about a certain group of Christians. My mind latched onto that word, and I found it a fascinating description. I thought about this group of fluffy Christians. They would be fluffy only because their Jesus was fluffy. Could my Jesus be fluffy as well? Was my belief a fluffy Christianity?

I look at my life, and I realize that sadly, I am a fluffy Christian.  My Jesus is not the Jesus in the scriptures.  My fluffy Jesus is not that serious about the little sins in my life.  “Don’t worry son.  I know you were in a hard spot and telling that lie just helped make things easier for you.”  “Yes, you sinned, but it's not like you killed anyone.”  “I asked you to tell that person about me, but don’t worry;  I will find someone else to tell them.”

God is a righteous God.  He hates all sin.  To Him a lie is as bad as robbing a bank.  The punishment for both is death.  That may sound extreme but it really isn’t.  Anytime we sin, we are rebelling against God, the creator and ruler of the Universe.  When someone rebels against a king, it is treason.  The punishment for treason is death.

Do you take sin seriously?  Our culture is not the authority on what is right and wrong.  God is.  Premarital sex is sin.  Homosexuality is sin. Abortion is sin.  White lies are sin.  Drunkenness is  sin.  Stealing a pen from work is sin.  Taking extra change accidentally given to you is sin.  Wanting revenge is sin. Cheating on taxes is sin.

It does not matter what your friends say.  It does not matter what your spouse thinks.  What the government determines is legal or illegal is not the final say.  God determines right and wrong, and His word, above all others, is what matters.

He is not fluffy.  He is serious about sin.  He is forgiving and loving, but He is not fluffy.  He draws a line in the sand and says, “Do not cross this line."  I have crossed that line everyday.  I have not taken serious what God takes serious; and worse yet, I have made Jesus into my fluffy Jesus.

Lord, forgive me.  I have looked to my friends, the world and myself for determining what is right and wrong.  I have placed others onto the throne of judgment in my life.  I have allowed myself to think that you do not take sin seriously.  You hate all sin.  You have set you heart like flint against sin. Your desire is to crush sin.

I know that you are a God of love, and I have tried to take advantage of that love.  I have made you into my image.  My fluffy faith has created a fluffy Jesus.  Forgive me and help me to look to you alone to know what is right for  my life.  I ask you to take your rightful place on the throne of my life.  I worship you for who you are and not for who I think you are.

Photo Credit: Jesus by Babblingdweeb

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. This was a very insightful post David! It really made me think and ponder. I think I ere on the fluffy side quite a bit and am in need of some repentance in this area. Thanks for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fluffy side of Jesus is his love and mercy for repentant sinners. Sin is not fluffy, it kills it smells it corrodes and will cut us off from God if we allow sin to determine our life. Excellent article.

    ReplyDelete