Friday, June 15, 2012

Living the First Century Church

fish
For the last two weeks, I pounded my head against a wall.  I labored and prayed hard to find the right subtitle for this blog. I felt that God wanted to refocus the blog's direction, but the exact words just did not seem to be there.  I sought advice from my Son-in-law Travis, who is my blog mentor, and he got me in the right direction.  I asked people on Facebook what the best words to use where.  I prayed, meditated and sweated over this until I finally think I have it.

“Living the First Century Church in the Twenty-First Century”

First let me say that the First Century Church was not perfect, but the Twenty-First Century Church has built up 2000 years of traditions and mistakes which we need to shed. We need to look back at the First-Century Church and see what Biblically based teachings they believed and produced in their lives.

What is special about this new Subtitle?  The first word (living) was the hardest word to determine, and it really is the key.  Many people suggested what the first word of the sentence should be, and they were very good.  I am thankful for intelligent friends who were willing to help share some wonderfully descriptive words.

The word “living” connotes that they didn’t simply exhibit the Christian life, but it was an integral part of them.  They didn’t have to think about how to live. It became  natural to them.  They didn’t just manifest Christ in their lives.  They lived Christ.  The seven sons Sceva are an example of someone who manifested the power to exorcise evil spirits in Jesus’ name but did not live the Christian life.  Acts 19: 13-16

What gave The First Century Church the power of God in their lives?  That is where we will be going together in this blog.  What we in The Twenty-First Century Church need to learn and allow God to transform in our lives.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me in this search.  Now let us begin to learn together what is in God’s heart for us in the twenty-first century.  Never be afraid to disagree with me or encourage me in what is said.  I have a lot to learn, and you might hold  a truth in your heart which I need to learn.

Photo Credit: Early Christian Gravestone by Walter Parenteau

No comments:

Post a Comment