Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Is Salvation a One Time Event?

Tell me not of your justification, unless you have also marks of sanctification. Boast not of Christ's work for you, unless you can show us the Spirit's work in you. - J.C. Ryle

Salvation is a one time event, but also is not.  When we hear the word salvation we think about the day we accepted Jesus as our savior.  For me that day was when I was in Navy boot camp. I can point to a specific time in my life when Jesus became my savior.  On that day, I became justified before God.  My sins were wiped clean because Jesus took them all upon himself. Romans 5:9

Today, I am working on my salvation.  I love my God and I try my best to do His will in my life.  I try to accomplish what the scriptures say in order to be more Christ-like.  Slowly, God has stripped away sin from my life and is doing a good work within me to bring me closer to the person He desires.  Slowly, but surely He is sanctifying me. 1 Thessalonians 5:23

Justification is a one time event in your life, when you accept the free gift of eternal life in Christ Jesus.  Sanctification is the continual work of God within you to bring your life into a more righteous way of living.  Both  are forms of salvation.

If you have Jesus as your savior, you have been justified, but that does not mean you have been sanctified.  If you die to self and make Jesus the true lord of your life, then you are being sanctified.  This is when real growth in your spiritual life begins.

There is a third salvation called glorification.  This is yet to come for us.  When we die or rapture occurs, we will be in the presence of God.  We will be given a new body which shall never die.  We will receive many heavenly blessings at this time, including a new knowledge of God.  You will have a glorified body, soul and mind.  Justification gave you eternal life in Heaven but  without sanctification you might get to heaven but with nothing to show for your life. Philippians 3: 20,21

We need to give our  lives to Jesus, not just for justification but for sanctification.  We need to give Him all of ourselves to Him.  Do not do it for any rewards but simply out of love.  He died for you out of love, now you need to die to self out of love for Him.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

  1. This is really good and so true. Thanks for sharing what the Lord showed you.

    ReplyDelete