Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Foundation of Prayer

Every mighty move of the Spirit of God has had its source in the prayer chamber.  E.M Bounds.

After I had left the Navy, I came back home to Iowa and joined a Baptist Church.  I loved the Lord and wanted to serve him.  I didn’t know much about how churches operated, but I was determined to do my best.

When they had something going on at church I tried to be there.  I even went to the church business meetings.  There were only a few at the business meetings, but those who were cared about the church and wanted what was best for it.  I remember sitting there with these older Christians knowing that I was sitting with wiser and more mature Christians then me.

At one particular meeting, we were sitting around a table talking before the meeting actually started.  We then began to talk about a problem which the meeting was to address and solve.  The discussion went on for about 10 minutes after the time the business meeting was to begin.  I then realized that even though we had not officially begun the meeting, in actuality it had started.

“Excuse me.” I spoke up in the middle of all the mature Christians, who were trying to solve this problem.  “Shouldn’t we pray about this?”

The pastor looked at me with a scowl.  “No! We need to find the solution to our problem and then ask God to bless it.”

That was the last business meeting I attended at that church.

I don’t care how smart you are, how much education you have, what experience you might have or titles you may possess.  You are not as wise as God.  Unless you are eternal, all knowing, all powerful and rule all of creation your resume will not come close to comparing to God’s.  I would rather hear from Him on how I should live my life.  He will have the best solution to any situations I might find here on earth.  He is the one I want telling me what I should be doing and not anyone else, including me. If he gives me the solution to a problem, I know He will bless it.  If I find my own solution, he will let me bless it with my own power, and if He does bless my solution it will be out of His Mercy.  There is no guaranteeing of His blessing if we follow our own plans instead of His.

Prayer is the foundation of any work of God in our world.  We can plan a revival.  We can decide on what hymns and songs to sing.  We can write our sermons, advertise the time and place of a revival, plan the food, drink, banners and even the color of choir robes to make the best impression on the hearts of the people.  However, it is all for nothing if it is not founded upon prayer.  Prayer that God guides in every detail, no matter how small.  Prayer that puts Him before our own wisdom. 

We are all fools compared to the wisdom of God.  Do nothing under your own power, but give it all to Jesus.  Rest in Him to carry the burden of how a revival should be.  All revivals are God’s responsibility and not our own.  We cannot  bring revival.  It is not in our power.  The only power you have to bring revival is to present yourself totally before God and allow him to use you.  Once you rest in His power and wisdom, allowing Him total control of your life, He can bring revival through you.  He will bring you to your knees to pray for revival, for souls, for a movement of God in this world.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment